Mint Choco Ice Cream Cake for my birthday....

Surprise Surprise Surprise...... I was so pleasantly surprised on my birthday this time.

As a child I've always been excited about my birthday (err that you can say it has lasted till as recently as last 2 years).....the excitement typically starts a month before.... yes I do !! :-)
I love my cards, the flowers, the surprise gifts and friends 'n' family dropping-in uninformed..... I just love it !!
As much as I love the whole ritual of giving and receiving flowers and cards especially on birthdays, KJ is the complete opposite. Over these years I had given up on him and reconciled to the fact that boys are after all boys and should not expect the unexpected....



This time around however KJ, 3 days before my birthday announced over a lazy dinner (while watching Master Chef Australia) that he's gonna bake a cake for my birthday......well the thought itself had me all melted....
Everytime KJ cooks he doesn't do the ordinary.....he loves to be on the edge and stretch his limits.....only increasing my benchmark !!
He baked me a Mint Choco Ice Cream Cake.....I've never worked with ice-cream and cake together. He did all of this without me being around......... I'm so proud of you KJ. :-))



(sorry for the images...I never got a chance to shoot it properly)

Mint Choco Ice Cream Cake

Ingredients:

For the Chocolate Cake:
4 large eggs
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
3/4 cup Oil
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
A pinch of Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Essence


For the Icing
Mint chocolate ( KJ used the After 8 thins)
Choco Chip Ice cream


Directions:

1. Grease and dust a 7" diameter round cake mould.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder together.
3. Separate the eggs.
4. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt till stiff peaks are formed.
5. Add the essence to the egg yolks, mix and gradually add them to the egg whites. Whisk well.
6. Now add the oil to the eggs and whisk for 30 seconds.
7. Fold in the flour mix gently (do not use the hand mixer)
8. Transfer to the mould and bake for 35 minutes at 180 degree C.
9. Remove from the mould and transfer on the wire rack and let it cool completely.
10. Cut 2 horizontal equal layers of the cake....giving you three layers.
11. Soak (using a brush/spoon)the cake with some flat coke.
12. Cut the ice cream in about 1 cm thick slices and put it back in the freezer.
13. Take some Mint chocolate and grind it in a mixer.
14. Take the ice cream out of the freezer. Place it on one layer of the cake.
15. Sprinkle the mint chocolate flakes on the ice cream layer and place the second layer of cake on it.
16. Repeat the steps and also cover the sides of the cake with the ice cream.
17. Finally place the top layer of the cake. Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes and then keep in the fridge till serving.

Happy Baking !!




1 comments:

  1. Cakes and ice cream have long been used to celebrate events and milestones in people's lives. An ice cream cake combines both elements into one concoction that may look like it is nothing more than a cake on the outside.

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author